Untermyer Park and Gardens

Untermyer Park and Gardens is a historic 43-acre (17 ha) city public park, located in Yonkers, New York in Westchester County, just north of New York City. The park is a remnant of Samuel J. Untermyer's 150-acre (61 ha) estate "Greystone". Situated on the steep land arising from the eastern bank ... Read More
Untermyer Park and Gardens is a historic 43-acre (17 ha) city public park, located in Yonkers, New York in Westchester County, just north of New York City. The park is a remnant of Samuel J. Untermyer's 150-acre (61 ha) estate "Greystone". Situated on the steep land arising from the eastern bank of the Hudson River to the bluff on top of it, the park features a Walled Garden inspired by ancient IndoPersian gardens, a small Grecian-style open-air amphitheater with two facing sphynxes supported by tall Ionic columns, a classical pavilion, stoa and loggias, a rock-and-water feature called the "The Temple of Love", as well as a long staircase from the Walled Garden to an Overlook with views of the river and the Palisades. The gardens were developed beginning in 1916 by Untermyer, a prominent lawyer and civic leader, and were designed by architect and landscape designer William W. Bosworth, with fountains by Charles Wellford Leavitt, and sculptures by Paul Manship and other artists. The gardens were regularly opened to the public, hosted performances of noted dancers, actors and musicians, and were considered to be among the finest gardens in the United States. When Untermyer died in 1940, he had hoped to donate the whole estate to the United States, or the State of New York, or at least to the City of Yonkers. Eventually the Yonkers agreed to accept part of the estate. The parcel, which was the core of the gardens, and which has been added to since that time, was renamed Untermyer Park and Gardens in his honor.[2] It was added to the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. Untermyer Gardens have recently undergone a significant campaign of restorations, which is continuing.